Wednesday, June 15, 2011

4 Months

Yup - you guessed it! It's been 4 months now since I've decided to make a concerted effort to wake up earlier to start my day with my God! I'm posting these mostly for my own accountability - but also to challenge others.
It really has changed my life. Sleep is over-rated anyways, right?. (jk, I love sleeping in the mornings, not going to sleep at night, weird, I know)
The discipline of waking up early - setting my mind on things above, waking up, exercising, and drinking a cup of coffee before my day starts has done wonders.
I've been reading through 1 and 2 Samuel. Love the narrative of a story to keep up with. And lets face it, I don't remember very much of the order of when things happened, so reading straight through has helped with that and put things in order for me. I'm also reading through 1 Peter. Lots of exhortation to love people and be holy b/c of our high calling. I started reading a commentary with it which is helpful.
I have missed a few mornings here and there. Some mornings still are very hard to get up - but I understand how different my mindset is when I do get up and read/exercise and that far outweighs the difficult-ness of getting out of bed. Hopefully soon - I will be getting up naturally. It is way easier though.
How are you doing? Has anyone else made an effort to start their day with perspective and with God? I would love to hear about your journey.
P.S. I will be gone for a while. We are taking a BIG family vacation to see family, so my posts might be a little sparse for a while. I will try to update a little as time allows. B/C we are afterall going to a beautiful place with Family to do lots of exciting things. :) And Please pray if you think of it - we hope to have a few answers by the end of this trip as far as our future goes! See ya real soon.

4 comments:

Emily Wagner said...

Jess I loved reading this 'cuz i struggle ALOT with daily devotional time with God. Today for the first time in a loooong time tho I spent an Hour and a half just reading a spiritual growth book, reading the Bible and stuff and it made me feel great!!! I know exactly what you mean by how good it makes you feel :-) That's great that it's been four months for you!! Way to Go!!

Unknown said...

Wow, it's been 4 months. I'm glad you are doing so well. I can't say the same. I've had some things I have been having a hard time with and studying in the morning would really, really help. I hope to be more consistent when you bring it up again.
I'm praying your family trip goes well and that you return safely with your lil family <3
Cayla is going to college at the end of August. I hope I can get together with you on day you aren't busy when you return :)

Trina Mayfield said...

I remember those days when the kids (you) were little and if I was going to get any time with the Lord, I had to do it in the early mornings! It does change as the kids grow, but such an important time of the day - spending it with the Lord. I'm so glad you've been able to be consistent. Now I'm looking forward to reading about your trip to CO!

Rebecca said...

Jess, I admire your ambition. How early do you get up? What time do your boys get up? I have really been thinking about doing this also. My little one is up at about 6 or so every morning. I'm just not sure if I can get up a whole lot earlier than her. Any suggestions? Thanks :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...