Tuesday, February 23, 2010
Tuesday, February 2, 2010
One books is By DA Carson - "A call to Spiritual Reformation" - Very convicting book on Prayer
The other one is The Discipline of Grace by Jerry Bridges. This book is a very easy read and very convicting. One thing I read that I wanted to post and also have around my house as a reminder is this: 1 Cor. 13 as action statements -
- I am patient with you b/c I love and want to forgive you.
- I am kind to you b/c I love you and want to help you.
- I do not envy your possessions or gifts b/c I love you and want you to have the best.
- I do not boast about my attainments b/c I love you and want to hear about yours.
- I am not proud b/c I love you and want to esteem you before myself.
- I am not rude b/c I love you and care about your feelings.
- I am not self-seeking b/c I love you and want to meet your needs
- I am not easily angered by you b/c I love you and want to overlook your offenses
- I do not keep record of your wrongs b/c I love you and "love covers a multitude of sins".
This is in the context of our view of ourselves in light of the gospel, how we tend to look over the "refined sins" and then he goes over the seriousness of sins. Right after that he lists this as one of the positive Character traits the NT talks about - and how missing the mark in the positive character traits is the reason we are sinners in need of God's grace. This is very convicting to me - there were a few of those bullets that really hit me hard especially in regards to my relationship with Richard. God please help me love him.